The United States strongly condemns the recent terrorist attack on Istanbul's Ataturk Airport where two suicide bombers blew themselves up near the entrance to the terminal and a third in the parking lot, killing 44 people and wounding hundreds.
“Our deepest condolences go out to the families and loved ones of those killed and we wish a speedy recovery to those injured,” said White House spokesperson Josh Earnest. President Barack Obama offered condolences to the Turkish people during a phone call with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and reiterated the United States’ strong commitment to stand in solidarity with NATO Ally Turkey in combatting the common threat of terrorism. The United States has offered its assistance in the investigation
Among the victims were Turks, Saudis, Iraqis, and one citizen each from China, Iran, Jordan, Tunisia, Ukraine, and Uzbekistan, according to a Turkish official.
The June 28 attack in Istanbul is the eighth suicide bombing in Turkey so far this year. To date, at least 140 people have been killed.
No group has officially claimed credit for the latest attack although Turkish officials have said they suspect ISIL.
“Sadly, this murderous attack is only the latest in a series of attacks aimed at killing and maiming innocent civilians.” said Deputy State Department spokesperson Mark Toner in a written statement. “Such attacks will only reinforce our determination to work with the government of Turkey to counter the scourge of terrorism and support all those across the region who are working to promote peace and reconciliation.”
The United States remains steadfast in its support for Turkey as it continues to confront the threat of terrorism.